Continuing with the festive theme, here is another roast vegetable recipe which can accompany any chosen Christmas dinner meats or veggie roast. I think it will particularly delicious with goose.Once again this is a stress-free recipe which does not require extensive preparation. It is versatile enough for you to use with many of the white root vegetables that you can find in your Riverside Market Garden festive vegetable box. Personally I have great difficulty stopping myself from devouring these before I place them on the dinner table. Let’s hope I manage it this time for the family’s sake!
Ingredients (feed 4-6 as part of a roast dinner)
- 6 Jerusalem artichokes (around 250g)
- 1 large parsnip (around 200g)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground salt to season
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil to dress
- Wash the artichoke and parsnip well with a brush or peel. I prefer both vegetable with the skin on if you cut off any ‘hairy’ bits and chop the top and tail off.
- Roughly chop and mix well with all ingredients in a baking tray.
- Roast for 40 minutes in a medium oven (180 centigrade) or until cooked enough to pierce with a fork but not falling apart.
- Particularly delicious with roast goose, duck or a hearty nut roast.
Back to the roots #3 – December festive recipes: Parsnip or celeriac oven chips with beetroot dip