WILD GARLIC PESTO
This is the perfect weekend for wild garlic foraging and pesto making. Below is our recipe to complement our video recipe.
When picking wild garlic avoid decimating wild garlic patch areas. Instead leave the roots in, pick the larger leaves to make space for the shoots in their shadow, leave most of the buds (if picking some for pickles). Leave enough for others.
This recipe makes about 2 kilos of pesto, which you can gift & freeze for a flavour of spring in the depths of next winter.
- 400g wild garlic leaves
- 6garlic cloves, minced
- 500g hazelnuts, roasted and peeled
- 300g Parmesan cheese
- 500 to 600ml extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 tsp. sea salt
- 10 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 to 2 tsp. sugar
- Roast the hazelnuts in 200 degrees Celsius for 10-15 min. Cool and rub between your hands to peel skin off.
- Wash the wild garlic really well. We recommend 3 – 4 washes.
- Pat dry well with clean tea towels.
- In a large blender place at least half the wild garlic, garlic, salt, vinegar, sugar.
- Then weigh down with the nuts, Parmesan and olive oil.
- Blend to reduce in size. Then add what you couldn’t fit and blend again.
- If you have a very small blender, mix in batches. Place what you blend in the same bowl and mix well at the end to ensure consistency of seasoning and flavour.
- If placing in the freezer use small pot and avoid glass jars.
We filmed this whilst listening to Laura Marling’s interview in @bbc6music. Have a listen.
#maker #make #forage #foragedfood #food #wildgarlic #wildgarlicpesto #film #recipes #seasonal #cooktheseason #preseve #gooutside #worldflavours #globalkitchen #pesto #localingredients #instafood #lowimpact #eatwell #easyrecipes #liaskitchenrecipes #wildgarlicpestorecipe #wildgarlicrecipes #recipes #videorecipes #liaskitchen